- By Courting the Republicans, Obama Could Get the Worst of All Worlds: "...far from elevating the interests of the country above the party, bipartisanship mostly achieves the opposite - suggesting that the principal aim of policymaking is consensus among the political elite rather than delivering for the electorate. The fact that the political class comes together in a cordial manner to support something does not in itself make that thing good....The burning priority for Americans at this juncture is not that their two main parties work together. It's that their government does something to revive the economy."
- It's Not Going to Be OK
- Bailouts for Bunglers: "a Washington Post report based on administration sources says that Mr. Geithner and Lawrence Summers, President Obama's top economic adviser, "think governments make poor bank managers" - as opposed, presumably, to the private-sector geniuses who managed to lose more than a trillion dollars in the space of a few years."
- Commission Gets Grim Report on Wartime Spending: "A new commission examining waste and corruption in wartime contracts got a grim report from government watchdogs who say poor planning, weak oversight and greed combined to soak U.S. taxpayers and undermine American forces in Iraq and Afghanistan."
- Australia Faces Collapse as Climate Change Kicks In
- Rebound of Nuclear Plants Raising Worries Over Waste